Monday, May 7, 2007

Staff Development Day

I hope that everyone enjoyed Staff Development Day as much as I did. Thanks to Beth for the suggestion about breakfast & thanks to both her and Dennis for cooking pancakes and waffles this morning. Beth tells me that a number of people including, Ann Carol & Pam provided oven space for one of the sausage casseroles. Thanks also to Matt for dropping in early this morning and volunteering to help; because of his help and experience the ham biscuits arrived at the table warm, but not burnt!

I was not sure what to expect from Carol Mabe’s presentation; but I should have know from experience that she would do a fantastic job. Who would have thought that a talk and discussion about branding could have been so germane to the Library and our Revisioning process? Although she started with the caveat that she usually did this exercise with groups of 20 or less, I was happily surprised with the excitement and participation generated at the meeting. (Even the backbenchers were shouting out their suggestions and contributions.) Thanks to everyone for being so attentive and participative. I look forward to getting her notes and your input about a possible Joyner Library brands.

As some of you know, I have said that I wanted the Library’s brand to be “The Information Place,” but I am sure you will be able to come up with a better and more distinctive suggestion. JMD from the Music Library handed me his suggestion as he left the meeting:
Joyner Library: Gateway to a World of Information—or at least I think that is what it says. I had a little trouble reading the handwriting.

Finally thanks to everyone for being so willing to participate in the group dancing: you were great, making up with your enthusiasm what was occasionally lacking in finesse. With a little more work on distinguishing right hand and left hand turns, we can take this show on the road! I think I counted nearly 90 people dancing! Wow!

Someone said to me that they had never heard so much laughter in the Library—which makes me feel great. Now we have R2 to look forward to next week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire day and appreciate the thought and hard work that made it possible. That Larry was able to get me to dance in public is an indication that the library, too, can change, and I am certain it will change for the better!

Dale said...

Hi all,

Just an idea, but since ECU's slogan is "Tomorrow Starts Here”, how about something
like “Providing Information for Your Tomorrow” for Joyner?

Then again, maybe the connection won’t be made.

Dale

Anonymous said...

Now if we can just get Maury to demonstrate his State Champion whistling ability during a forum we will really be ready to take the show on the road!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this last year, and I'm glad to see it's becoming a tradition. I think it really helps everyone in the library to get to spend some friendly time together. The dancing was a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

I would like to echo what everybody's said; I had a great time on Monday (even sorting the sweet potatoes was fun--6000 pounds, everybody!). With regard to Carol's presentation, I think it's great to get people focused on how we present ourselves to our community. I especially liked Larry's (repeated) comment about 110 friendly, highly-trained, professional staff. We will strive to live up to that characterization! I have to say, though, that sometimes business-derived metaphors ("branding", "our product", etc.) leave me a little uninspired. Now, I'm always saying we've got to market ourselves. But in thinking of our mission and vision, I'd urge everybody not to lose sight of our (somewhat less glitzy) role in the -education- of our students (improving, training their minds, etc.), and the importance of providing a means for scholarly research as well as (mere) information-seeking. This is not a complaint, just a caution. Thanks again for a great day.

Patricia

Beth said...

Actually it was Ann Carol, Susan B. and my mom who got up early Monday morning to cook breakfast casseroles. Susan B. got the added bonus of having to clean up raw eggs from her floor since one casserole spilled when it was delivered. OOPS