Thursday, July 19, 2007

59 & holding

Yesterday was my 59th birthday; it was lots of fun to spend with my colleagues at Joyner. Besides a myriad of cards & electronic greetings, Frances & Gena were kind enough to stand in the hot noon day sun at B's Barbeque to bring back barbeque pork and chicken for a veritable birthday lunch. To say that I over indulged is probably not stretching the truth. Last night Sue & I grilled steaks--please don't anyone tell my family doctor who tells me that my cholesterol is already out of control.

Today, I went to visit the library at Elizbeth City Statue University. along with Ann Carol and Beth. We were warmly welcomed by Juanita Midgett, the Interim Director, and given a tour of the facility. We also talked about some things that we can colloaborate on, including some possible grant proposals. In addition, we invited as many as can come to visit Joyner on August 3rd, when Helene Blowers will be talking to the Library about "Library 2.0." Juanita was truly excited & plans to come and bring a number of her colleagues and spend the entire day with us. The Little Library is a wonderful facility, striving to serve the needs of the faculty and students of ECSU but they also face a number of challenges--mostly because of the limited resources they have historically received. I truly hope this will be the beginning a new and mutually rewarding collaborative effort on both of our instituitions parts.

No comments: